Looking after your hair is very much like looking after your body. It’s so important to ensure it gets all the vitamins and minerals it needs to grow healthy and strong, and pay attention to your natural hair type in order to properly take care of it.
At Crown Clinic, we want to help you take care of your hair and give you the natural, full look that you’ve always wanted. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of products for each hair type, to help you take care of your natural hair type with ease.
Paying Attention to Your Hair Type
When it comes to natural hair types, most heads of hair will fall into at least 1 of 4 main hair categories:
- Straight Hair
- Wavy Hair
- Curly Hair
- Kinky Hair (Afro)
Each of these individual hair types needs special care and attention according to their natural state. One product catered for straight hair, may not have the same benefits for those with kinky hair, so it’s important to pay attention to the ingredients and product recommendations.
Curly and kinky hair in particular, may require a special routine or specific products to help tame and style it. That’s why we’ve put together a handy infographic to help you figure out:
- What your natural hair type is
- How to look after your natural hair type
How to Maintain Straight Hair
Naturally straight hair can range from very fine to very thick, but it hardly ever displays any kinks or curls. It can also be difficult to style, especially if you want to go from naturally straight to wavy or curled.
Some of the biggest issues with naturally straight hair is frizz and lack of volume, especially in hair that is very fine to medium in thickness.
Best products to control straight hair frizz:
- High quality hair oil, such as Moroccan Oil or for a slightly cheaper option, try Aussie’s 3 Miracle Hair Oil for Damaged Hair.
- Treat your hair to a bit of luxury with Bumble and Bumble’s Straight Hair Shampoo and Conditioner. This will help to smooth any flyaways and keep frizz at bay.
Best products for volumising flat hair:
- Tigi Bed Head Queen for a Day Thickening Spray is great for giving you volume and texture, you only need a quick spritz and you’ll be loving your new voluminous hair!
- A volumising powder can also help to inject some volume into your locks, especially if you have short hair. Try Schwarzkopf Osis Dust It – it comes in a range of different holds, so no matter how much hold you need, this will have you covered.
Best Products for Wavy Hair
Everybody wants soft, beachy waves these days. The boho, just rolled out of bed look is very much in fashion, but for those with naturally wavy hair, it can be hard to get that smooth defined wave we all crave.
This is where products like smoothing serums and creams come in handy. The main thing you need to keep in mind, is keeping moisture in the hair and ensuring you get regular trims to remove split ends. Regular cuts can help to combat frizz and help maintain the texture and fullness of your natural hair.
Best products for smoothing wavy hair:
- Choosing a product like Philip Kingsley Smooth Cream, will not only provide UV protection for your hair, but it also contains natural oils to ensure you are nourishing and smoothing your hair.
- Hydrating styling products will also help to tame any frizz and help you to show off your shiny wavy hair. Try a hydrating product like Moroccan Oil Hydrating Styling Cream to finish off your look before heading out of the door.
Best products for defining wavy hair:
- Investing in a good salt spray will allow you to really make your wavy hair stand out, helping you to create texture and more defined waves. Give the Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray a try, Bumble and Bumble are known for their amazing salt sprays and this one has been at the top of the market for a long time now!
How to Take Care of Curly Hair
With curly hair comes amazing volume, but it can also come hand in hand with major frizz! That’s why naturally curly hair often needs particular routine to keep it in tip-top condition.
Naturally curly hair can take a fair bit of styling, so it’s very important that you choose the best and most essential products for your hair. Piling on the products can weigh hair down, make it feel greasy and make it hard to style, so keeping your styling products minimal will actually vastly help your hair.
Best products for styling curly hair:
- A good mousse such as the Boucleme Curl Cream will leave your hair feeling super soft and give you a light hold to keep curls in place. By using natural ingredients, this product will keep your hair nourished and frizz free!
- A hydrating weekly hair mask is also essential for keeping curly hair frizz free. This Kérastase Discipline Curl Ideal Masque has been rated highly by those who struggle to tame their wild locks!
How to Maintain Natural Afro Hair
Those with naturally kinky or afro hair will know how difficult it can be to find products that do it all. Whether you want to hydrate, define or relax your afro hair, this hair type needs a bit of TLC to keep it looking on top form.
The main products to consider when figuring out how to maintain naturally afro hair, are good hydrating curl creams, hair oils and clarifying shampoos. Combining these 3 products will help you to keep your hair healthy and looking amazing all day long!
Best products for defining curls:
- Cantu Coconut Curling Cream has been raved about by those with natural afro hair. Many bloggers and beauty fanatics have written about the amazing results they have experienced after using it. Filled with hydrating properties, this will not only define curls, but keep hair healthy and strong!
Best clarifying shampoos and conditioners:
- For an affordable option, try Tresemme Cleanse and Replenish shampoo and conditioner range. For a little more luxury, try Oribe The Cleanse Clarifying Shampoo, but try and stick to using these clarifying shampoos to once a week, just to remove build up and keep hair fresh and clean.
Starting your hair care routine with identifying your hair type will not only massively help you to choose the right products, but you’ll also find it a lot easier to style your hair and keep it healthy for longer.
Wondering how your hair type might affect you having a hair transplant? Why not pop in to see us for a consultation and we’ll be able to tell you exactly what your options are and what results you can expect!